But he said to them, "I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose." Luke 4:43

Friday, October 2, 2009

Kenya


Background info: Almost two months ago now, I was blessed with the opportunity to go into Kenya, Africa and witness to people for my Lord. I became a Christian when I was 16 years old at World Changers Chicago and since then, have felt a call to missions. Backtrack two years: I saw a video on children in Uganda, fighting a horrible war.( www.invisiblechildren.com ) when I was 14, my freshman year in high school and ever since then, my heart has burned for Africa. So, when I found out I could go to Kenya, this past January I was beyond excited. I prayed over it very heavily, and asked for others to, and definitely felt like it was truly God's will for me to go. So I went :).
Kenya: I arrive in Kenya on August 1st (Saturday) and thanked God with every ounce of breath inside of me. It was happiness like I had never felt before. Finally where He has called me to be. Sunday morning we woke up and went a church in Nairobi, which was AMAZING. God was there and the people worshiping Him were really worshiping Him. They were crying out in Swahili and English, to their Lord, my Lord. It really was the coolest thing.

Monday: We went into Kibera which is one of the largest slums in Nairobi. One million people living in one square mile. Can you even begin the comprehend that?! I didn't until I witnessed it myself.  You really do not know poverty until you come across this. The coolest part tho? There was a bible school in the midst of all this sadness and despair!! God really is everywhere, even when it looks like He cannot be found.
Later on that afternoon, we flew into South Horr Village where our missionary friend, Stakwell, had his sports camp that we would be serving at that week.  I literally fell in love with every child I saw. God had put me in the place where He knew I desired, yet where He wanted me. [Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3]

Tuesday-Thursday: We worked at the sports camp in the morning and the afternoon. I heard there was over 900 kids that came. 900!! That we planted a seed in for the Lord. How cool is that?! A couple of children really caught my attention however, and would come greet me everyday, each time they saw me. :) It was so wonderful, knowing I was making an impact in these children's lives. Nade was probably about 5/6 and she even gave me a necklace at the end of the week, that her mother made for me. And that really just broke my heart. They make items like that, to sell for a living, yet she wanted me to have it. Wednesday night we went to a "church service" under the stars. A group of Somburos meet under a big tree every Wednesday and sing  songs and dance and then hear a bible lesson in their native tongue. I understood nothing of what they said, but heard God talk more than I ever had in my entire life. There were children laying over all of us, sleeping, while they're families learned about their Creator. It was such an amazing presence, that I will cherish forever.
We left Friday morning and I must admit, it was the hardest good-bye I have ever done. Not knowing if I would see those children and adults ever again.

Hopefully, the Lord will send me back, but until then I wait patiently serving Him. Only He knows where I'll go. And I will go wherever He sends me. But I do feel like I will be there again. With those beautiful smiling, singing faces. With the people who expect nothing but are so appreciate of everything. Some of the most beautiful people in the Lord reside in Kenya, Africa and I am more than thankful for being blessed to go and witness their lives and be a witness for my Savior. Thank You Lord.

No comments: