But he said to them, "I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose." Luke 4:43

Monday, June 28, 2010

Nicaragua

Nicaragua was amazing. Such a wonderful mission trip in only one week. We had about 10 people go with us from Millbrook and we went down to minister to the people of Rio Blanco; which is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. God is so good!
We could definitely feel every one's prayers and I am so thankful for those that were praying. The people down there were very interested in everything we told them about God's kingdom.
We got to go to three different places to see children: Ruben Dario escuela, La Ponsana escuela, and the Red Bridge iglesia. Los ninos were always well-behaved and loved playing with us, gringos. :) We taught them about the 10 commandments, God's salvation, and hygiene and how they can remain healthy. Every child got a salvation card and bracelet that we made together, and either a toothbrush and toothpaste or soap and a washcloth. It was so humbling to see people get so excited about these "little" items that we take so for granted.
With las mujeres, we got to make crafts with them at the Ruben Dario school and share the Gospel with them, as well. Such a lively bunch and they really enjoyed knitting, making hair bows and earrings, and painting stained glass look-a-likes. Another day at La Ponsana, we cooked with the women, which was very interesting. The cupcake bread we made, looked kinda ugly, but tasted great. The women were just excited to have learned a new recipe and get some cooking supplies for their own home. That night we had bible study with a few ladies and learned about some of their struggles. We prayed with them which was so beautiful (and I will write another post about an experience here). I think this is when I truly fell in love with the Nicaraguan people. The next day, we got to visit some of the same ladies in their homes and have more talking and sharing time. Every lady and her children were so welcoming to us and made us feel at home. It was a beautiful time.
I must admit, that spending time with the children was my favorite part of the trip. I must have painted 300 faces and hugged 300 kids. It was so neat to speak their language (what little I knew) and talk to them about Jesus, familia, y escuela. They loved hearing us talk and just being near us. I just loved watching them. Children really are God's biggest blessing to us.
I am so thankful that God sent me on this trip and the blessings He poured out around us. We planted seeds all over Rio Blanco and I know that He is taking care of His children, and they are learning more about Him each day.
These are some of my very favorite pictures from the trip. Love...

No comments: