But he said to them, "I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose." Luke 4:43

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hand it All Over to Him

Like I said in my post on Sunday, I just started reading a book I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris. Well, it is AMAZING. I have only read Part One so far, but I really feel that God is speaking to me through the words on every page. Some quotes that I found really interesting in  Part One: Isn't There a Better Way?

  • God not only wants me to act differently; He wants me to think differently--to view love, purity, and singleness from His perspective, to have a new lifestyle and a new attitude.
  • True love isn't just expressed in passionately whispered words or an intimate kiss or an embrace; before two people are married, love is expressed in self-control, patience, even words left unsaid. 
  • This is where it's so important for our love for others be shaped by God's love for us. This kind of love looks beyond personal desires and the gratification of the moment. It looks at the big picture: serving others and glorifying God.
  • The joy of intimacy is the reward of commitment. (Harris' big point in this section)
  • What is true joy? It's found in God's brand of love--love founded on faithfulness, love rooted in commitment.
  • Dating in and itself isn't the cause of the problems we see in relationships. Sinful and selfish people are the cause of sinful and selfish relationships--its our own wrong attitudes and values that make for defective dating.
Harris is such a genius! Sure, maybe these are things that we all know, but is it things that we are all practicing?? In the last chapter of this part, he gives five new attitudes he thinks are awesome. I think they're awesome too. :)
  1. Every relationship is an opportunity to model Christ's love: The world will know we follow Christ by the way we love others. For this reason, we must practice love as God defines it--sincere, servant-hearted, and selfless--not the world's brand of selfish and sensual love based on what feels good.   
  2. My unmarried years are a gift from God: As a single you have the freedom now to explore, study, and tackle the world.
  3. I don't need to pursue a romantic relationship before I'm ready for marriage: Recognize that if two people can't make a commitment to each other, they don't have any business pursuing a romance.
  4. I cannot "own" someone outside of marriage: A claim on another person's time, affection, and future before marriage is unwarranted.
  5. I will avoid situations that could compromise the purity of my body or mind
So with my eyes opened, my head bowed, and on my knees, I am trying to start a new life, with a new attitude, with everything in God's hands.

No comments: